Here is today’s blog of the series for National Careers Week 2018.
Just in case you missed it, we look back at our post from the end of January all about the Department for Education’s long-awaited statutory guidance for governing bodies, school leaders and staff…
This statutory guidance replaces the version issued in March 2015 (and re-issued with a minor update in April 2017).
The ‘Careers guidance and access for education and training providers’ applies to:
- Local-authority-maintained schools
- Community schools
- Foundation or voluntary schools
- Community or foundation special schools
- Academies and free schools
- Pupil referral units (PRUs)
Core points covered…
- This statutory guidance has been updated to expand on the ‘Careers strategy: making the most of everyone’s skills and talents’ published in December 2017 – to set out a long term plan to build a world class careers system that will help young people and adults choose the career that is right for them.
CASCAID’s aim is to help young people and adults make the best possible decisions about their future career and the learning and training journey that takes them to it.
- This statutory guidance has been restructured around the Gatsby Charitable Foundation’s eight Benchmarks with information on what schools need to do to meet each one.
Good careers guidance is at the heart of what we do. Our products are designed to embed seamlessly with your career guidance activities and work hand-in-hand with professionals to deliver real impact.
- The eight Benchmarks go further by defining all of the elements of an excellent careers programme – the Government’s expectation is that schools begin to work towards these now and meet them by the end of 2020.
CASCAID products already align with the eight Benchmarks – you are well on your way to meeting the statutory guidance.
- The careers strategy refers to both co-ordinated external support and appropriately skilled and experienced school leader support – this statutory guidance explains what support will be made available to schools between now and 2020.
While CASCAID products are designed to be easy and intuitive to use, we appreciate there are times when you may require further support. With this in mind, we have a wide range of support resources including lesson plans, teacher/ adviser guides, user guides and activities as well as ‘How to…’ short films.
- The Careers & Enterprise Company(CEC) will provide external support to schools.
We are here to support you too – providing training and webinars that relate to our products and industry sector blogs and articles to support your valuable work and knowledge.
- The careers strategy set out that every school will need a dedicated Careers Leader – every school will be asked to name this Career Leader; the requirement will be introduced in September 2018.
In addition to our full range of support resources, with every CASCAID subscription, you will have the name of your very own dedicated Account Manager, on hand to help you make the most of our products.
- The way in which careers guidance will continue to be considered during Ofsted inspection is set out in Ofsted’s Common Inspection Framework and School Inspection Handbook.
By using CASCAID Manager, our powerful management and tracking suite, you can produce individual reports to support guidance interviews and those all-important Ofsted inspections.
With some great ‘best-practice’ and so much information to digest in this statutory guidance, where do you begin?
Here are our suggestions to get you started:
- Take some time out to read through the statutory guidance and careers strategy documents. We have attached the links at the bottom of this blog for your information.
- Sign up to Outstanding Directions, our free online tool designed to help schools take stock of their current provision; it enables teachers, advisers and the senior leadership team to evaluate and improve activities which can help their careers guidance programme.
- The Gatsby Charitable Foundation’s eight Benchmarks are being referred to widely throughout the statutory guidance. Download our eBook which highlights how CASCAID products are aligned to the benchmarks. Again, we have attached the link to this free eBook at the bottom of this blog.
By using CASCAID’s online career guidance solutions you are already providing impartial and independent, high-quality careers guidance which provides accurate and up-to-date information plus an open and transparent matching system which creates personalised results.
Over the coming months, there is no doubt there will be more articles and advice about the statutory guidance and what needs to be done. Rest assured, here at CASCAID we will do our very best to support you as best we can.
Get in touch…
Do you have questions or concerns about the latest statutory guidance? Would you like to know more about our products and services and especially, how they can help you meet the statutory guidance? Get in touch – we would love to hear from you and are always happy to help.
Contact the CASCAID team on 01509 226868 or email email@example.com.